1. (of a substance) made less dense; made thin
1. Because humans cannot breathe the extremely rarefied atmosphere at such a high altitude, airliners must have pressurized cabins.
2. (figuratively) extremely intellectually refined and lofty; characterized by very highly refined thought
2. Remember those rarefied late night discussions we used to have when we were studying philosophy at university?
3. (of society or company) exclusive; elite
3. Since becoming a famous rock star she has been moving in only the most rarefied social circles.
rarus (rare, thin)#facere (to make) (Latin)
lofty, rarefied, sublime
rare (, very less)+fied (. like field which means environment), hence environment where GAS is VERY LESS DENSE.